Thursday, April 7, 2011

Terror In The Aisles

Hello everyone! Sorry it's been a little while, things have been crazy lately. Last weekend was Cinema Wasteland and I dropped quite a bit of money on movies, so there should be a nice amount of reviews coming up. The first movie I looked at was one that has been eating away at me to watch. Thankfully, I found a bootleg of Terror In The Aisles (1984). I talked to quite a few people about it over the weekend and I really feel like I missed out watching this one when I was a kid. Everyone had such fond memories of it and it seemed like the kind of movie you grow up with being a horror fan.

Anyhow, Terror In The Aisles is sort of a documentary. It doesn't really give you any insight into the genre, which is what I was hoping for. The back of the VHS has a whole list of celebrities that are in it. They were just referencing the movie clips compiled. The only two celebrities that actually talked were Donald Pleasence (Halloween) and Nancy Allen (Dressed To Kill, Robocop). There was an interesting clip from Alfred Hitchcock: Men Who Made The Movies that featured Hitchcock discussing how to create suspense in a scene.

The entirety of the movie was made up of Pleasence and Allen amongst a crowd of people in a movie theater. They would introduce themes like the Devil, sex, killers and then proceed to show clips from dozens of recognizable movies. Eventually it would relate back to them in the theater repeating the infamous mantra, "it's only a movie... it's only a movie."

If you are looking for some mindless viewing or a nice classic horror compilation this one will do it for you. Like I said earlier, don't expect to take much out of this. There is not much on the obscure front since all of the movies they draw from are pretty well known. Despite the movie's shortcomings, it is definitely a fun movie. Terror In The Aisles is one of those movies that every horror fan should have on their shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment