Friday, June 3, 2011

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama

Just hearing the name of this movie is enough to turn a few heads. I had a professor that always told me about this movie and I finally threw some money down and ordered it. I wasn’t too disappointed. If you are looking for some fun 80’s cheese, this is the ultimate. Directed by the man who brought you Witchouse, Beach Babes from Beyond, Creepozoids, and countless other films that should have never been made like the killer boy band movie, Ring of Darkness. Ugh. Anyway, David DeCoteau is a legend in his own right. He got his start in the same place a lot of big name filmmakers did with none other than Roger Corman.

Sorority Babes starts with a group of college boys who get mixed up with a sorority initiation prank. The final initiation, after an approximately 10 minute spanking scene, is to steal a trophy from the bowling alley at the mall after hours. The gang of kids head out only to run into a girl named Spider (Linnea Quigley) who is robbing the alley. They finally get a hold of the trophy and accidently unleash a mischievous imp into the mall. He grants them wishes that of course go painfully wrong and makes some really bad jokes at their expense. Gotta hate those imps.

I had a really good time watching this. I just wish I would have waited to have a group of people over to watch it for the first time. It’s definitely the kind of movie you crack open a case of beer, order a pizza, and laugh at all the way through. It’s hard to review this movie because it doesn’t take itself seriously at all. DeCoteau knew what he was making and went for it. Nothing in the story is believable and why should it be?

The characters were all really formulaic and I think I loved them for that reason. It had all of your typical 80’s teen movie characters. There were preppy girls, nice girls, nerds, a bully, a punk and a bumbling old janitor. I was happy to see Linnea Quigley was the punk, Spider, who was robbing the bowling alley. She played her usual Return of the Living Dead Trash character and was great. She is probably the reason most people watched this movie when it came out! 

f580tx

For all of you Linnea Quigley fans out there, here is a clip from her 1990 release: Linnea Quigley’s Horror Workout. Just got a bootleg of it and I’ll definitely have to put it next to my Chuck Norris: Private Lesson tape.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I think you were following my Necrotic Cinema blog. Or at least I seem to following yours :) I had to change the URL for a couple reasons. Things will improve for me but the drawback is I lost all my followers. If you like the sick site can you refollow me at:

    http://necroticcinema.blogspot.com

    Thanks

    Bill


    //(*-*)\\

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excelente post Kdaver, muchas gracias por compartirlo. Te quiero invitar a mi nuevo Blog de Cine de Terror que seguramente te gustarĂ¡, espero tus comentarios en:
    http://terror-en-el-cine.blogspot.com/

    Un gran saludo, Oz.

    ReplyDelete